Wednesday, May 11, 2011

What I Ate Wednesday

As friends start reading my blog and learning about my eating choices, and as they start making healthier choices for themselves, I'm asked this question. A lot. 
What do you eat? 
 One of my favorite blogs, Peas and Crayons started a fun little way to share an average day in the life of food. I introduce to you, What I Ate Wednesday.


 Although I have a love affair with coffee, our relationship is very on-again, off-again. Lately, we're off. I do love coffee. I love the idea of coffee, the smell of coffee, and I think I've even grown to love the taste of coffee. Problem, I don't love how I feel when I drink coffee. Luckily, I have a very easy solution to this problem. Twig tea. Twig tea is great for digestion and is very alkalizing. It's packed full of cell-loving nutrients including calcium, zinc, selenium, copper, manganese, fluoride, B-complex vitamins, vitamin C and A, flavonoids and catechins. It does contain caffeine, but only a tiny amount. 


After my power hour, I had a big glass of lemon water (also alkalizing), and a hot cup of twig tea. 


 I  had a second cup while I sat and read my book (also part of my power hour.... which turns out, is much longer than one hour)


I'm a huge breakfast person. I need a big breakfast, otherwise I'm starving by 9:30, and in an office surrounded by candy and other junk food, hungry is not a good thing to be. Breakfast was a hybrid-version of my Sweet Potato Hash, with two eggs scrambled right in.


Of course I included a little hot sauce. I firmly believe in different hot sauces for different foods. For eggs, I use a local favorite.

Ray's Polish Fire Hot Sauce. If you love hot sauce, this is a must try. 

My husband is always up and out the door before I am. By the time I get home from my power hour, there's always a green smoothie waiting for me in the fridge. I sucked this down while I finished getting ready for work.



I had a few handfuls of almonds throughout the day, but didn't take a photo. I assume you all know what almonds look like :)

For lunch, I used a grain-free tortilla from The Spunky Coconut to make a hummus wrap. 


Tahini hummus, raw carrot sticks, raw zucchini sticks, raw onion, mixed baby greens, and kalamata olives. And, a little Rooster Sauce (Sriracha). 
I dipped some more veggies in the hummus too. I heart tahini hummus.
 

Work has been quite hectic lately (hence, Ive been neglecting you all. My sincere apologies, but dont worry.... it'll all be over as of June 10!) By the time I come home from work, I just want to eat and go to bed. There's been a lot of salads and stir-fry for dinner lately. It was actually a nice night though, and we finally pulled our old rickety grill out of storage. So, feeling a little inspired, we made shish-kibobs with home-made teriyaki and Thai lime and ginger rice. 


That was about it. I had another cup of tea, read for a while, and went to bed. 
21 more days of work (school) left!! (who's counting?)

No comments:

Post a Comment