Wednesday, June 15, 2011

WIAW: Spicy Black Bean Burgers and Cilantro-Lime Cabbage Slaw

What a beautiful sunrise to wake up to! I feel so blessed to be two blocks from this amazing view!

  

Its Wednesday, and you know what that means...

Thanks Jenn!

My day started out amazing all around. My husband made coffee before he left for work, so I came downstairs to a cuppa java (not pictured).

If you've been following along, you may have read that things had been getting pretty stressful for me. Things have completely calmed down and I'm enjoying summer, fresh lilacs blooming next to our deck, and those beautiful sunrises!

After my cup of coffee, I visited with a friend and her new baby. We shared Leanne's Strawberry-Cinnamon Shortcake Sandwiches. I made the coconut cream, but cheated on the strawberry filling. I just marinated fresh strawberries in a little bit of sweetener, lemon juice, and a touch of balsamic vinegar. My picture didn't turn out as pretty as hers, but they tasted amazing. A++. 


In the afternoon, I made some fridge-pickles. These are patiently sitting in the back of my fridge. Keep your fingers crossed, this was my first time making them!


 I seem to have been on a roll with Leanne's recipes. I made a HUGE batch of her Vegan Sour Cream and Chive Kale Chips. I used a leek instead of the chives because thats what I had, and I just skipped her version of "bacon" all together. Oh my gosh. This took my love of kale chips to a whole new level. I ate them all in one sitting. That's two large batches of kale. For lunch. 


For dinner we had Spicy Black Bean Burgers, topped with freshly sprouted clover seed, avocado, and Cilantro-Lime Cabbage Slaw on Un-Muffins.
The un-muffins weren't really working for me as a sandwich bun, but my husband gave it a thumbs up. I ended up eating mine open faced, with just one half of the un-muffin. I think I'll need to work on coming up with something a little less dense for next time.


 Spicy Black Bean Burgers:
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled
1 egg
1 tbsp chili powder
1tbsp cumin
1 teas hot sauce
1/2 cup almond flour**

In medium bowl, mash beans with fork (or hands) until thick and pasty and most beans are mostly mashed. In food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic (careful not to over-process, you want it to still be kinda chunky). Add to the beans. In small bowl, stir together egg, cumin, chili powder and hot sauce. Stir egg mixture into beans. Mix in almond flour until mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four parts, forming burgers with your hands. 
Grill or cook burgers (375 degrees for 8-10 minutes on each side).
These burgers hold together better if they are frozen first. No need to thaw before cooking.
**almond flour can easily be substituted for any type GF flour or GF bread crumbs. You may need to alter the amount slightly until you get a consistency that is sticky and will hold together to form patties.


Cilantro-Lime Cabbage Slaw:
1/2 head red cabbage, chopped
2 carrots, shredded
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
1/2 bunch cilantro
1 heaping tbsp tahini
2 tbsp mayo or veganaise
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp lime juice

Combine chopped cabbage and shredded carrots in a bowl. In food processor or blender, combine jalapeno, cilantro, tahini, mayo, vinegar, and lime juice. Add contents of blender to cabbage/carrot. Best if marinated for 2 hours, serve chilled. 


I topped my burger with red clover seeds that I had just sprouted, avocado, and the cabbage slaw and had a little more on the side. Such a good combination!

These recipes were included in Slightly Indulgent Tuesday.

13 comments:

  1. Oooo...Black bean burgers! Super deliciousness! Thanks for posting the recipe so that it can be in my future.

    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, Emily you are very much welcome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those burgers & slaw look and sound fabulous! I looove black bean burgers and cilantro lime anything is always a winner :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad things are not as stressful and you can relax =) I love when things finally die down... i'm always so much more appreciative of the calm after.. well a storm! wow so cheesy!

    Happy WIAW!!! <3 the black bean burgers look so so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all! Evidently I'm stuck on a cilantro-lime combo..... too much of a good thing is still a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that cole slaw is so colorful!! I'm glad you're feeling better. Nothing like a couple days to turn your mood around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sunrise looks beautiful, i'm so jealous of you getting to wake up to that! And those strawberry shortcakes look delish :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok so i made fridge pickles with peppers using that site -- ohmygosh! so easy! =) and goooood! Expect a shoutout in my pepper post! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks MRW :)

    MT: the shortcakes are unbelievably good, I highly recommend trying them!

    Jenn: peppers! I did cukes and carrots for my first time, but if they turn out I think I'll feel brave enough to try new veggies. Mushrooms would be good too! Let me know how yours turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a yummy recipe!! I love it. Thanks so much for sharing it at Slightly Indulgent Tuesday! I'm so glad to have you join in. I didn't notice a link back to the event though. Do you think you could add it? I'd love to share it in the Healthier Highlights section.

    Hugs,
    Amy
    Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops! I didn't even realize I forgot!! Thanks for the reminder Amy! I'm on it...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Almond biscuits were AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their WEBSITE www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete