Saturday, April 16, 2011

Salsa Verde

We are a Mexican food loving family. We eat tacos, nachos, burritos, or taco salads as though our life depends on it (dairy free and gluten free to boot.... yes, I just used the expression 'to boot'). At any given point, there are at least 3 types of hot sauce in our fridge. And I pride myself on being some what of a salsa connoisseur (read: salsa snob. Can I get an Amen for Jacks salsa?!). I have not, however, been able to find a salsa verde at the store that meets my needs. Problem solved. So lets just make this short and sweet. Home made, 100% raw, salsa verde.

Salsa Verde
5 Tomatillos, chopped
1 Poblano pepper (green pepper if you want it less spicy, jalapeno pepper if you want it more spicy)
1/2 large bunch fresh cilantro
1/2 medium onion
3 garlic cloves
2-3 tsp honey or agave
1 1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt

Put everything in the blender, and in a few seconds this:


 Turns into this:


Coincidentally, I just found out that this salsa goes distinctly well with Red Hot Blues. Yum!

This recipe is included in Real Food Weekly

2 comments: