Wednesday, June 8, 2011

WIAW and My Baby Birds Update!

 Its time again for another What I Ate Wednesday!

Thanks Jenn at Peas and Crayons!


As with most days, I started out having a cup of hot tea. Today I had a special Therapeutic Organic Tea that was VERY THOUGHTFULLY given to me by a friend (thanks Kristina! wink wink)

 

For a quick breakfast, I crumbled up my version of Gluten Free and Vegan Cherry Vanilla Power Bars from Elana's Pantry.
They turned out just so-so, but I think that was probably due to the changes I made in the original recipe, but hey... gotta work with what you got! 


As has been standard lately, there were a handful of almonds involved in my day, and also half of a grapefruit. 

For lunch I had a salad of mixed greens, shredded carrot, cucumber, red onion, Holy Land brand falafel balls, and a whipped up recipe of white miso, tahini, and olive oil, topped with a little bit of humus. 


I wasn't very impressed with the Holy Land falafel, but in their defense it was close to the expiration date when I ate them. Either way, they were pretty dried out. I think I'm going to have to make some fresh falafel soon!

 When I got home from work, I made another Carrot Cake Smoothie


Dinner was grilled chicken, marinated in a homemade tequila-lime sauce, with grilled asparagus. Can I just say that I LOVE asparagus season. We got some at the farmer's market last weekend. I just dont think I could ever get sick of it!


 Had some of this after dinner, sitting on the back deck as the sun was setting. Great, great, grateful day!


Oh! And an update on our baby birds
The window on our front door, where the bird's nest is, looks right into our living room. Its been fun to see the mama-bird sitting on the eggs, and then watching as the birds hatched, and now watching the mama-bird feed the babies. We got a glimpse of the dad-bird the other day and are pretty sure they're House Finches.
This is a picture I took from INSIDE my house, looking out through the glass door that the wreath is attached to. Aren't they cute?!



Hope you are all having a happy, grateful, Wednesday!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Mercedes.....as if I need another draw to my computer, but I am in love with your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And my birds too, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOSH! Those little baby birdies are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love grilled asparagus! We have asparagus that grows in our yard and I love having it fresh from the garden!
    Carrot cake smoothie? Sounds thick and creamy!
    I love falafel!! I thought I was allergic to sesame for the longest time and coudln't have it, but now I"ll need to get on it again cause I'm craving it now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awwwwwww the birds are so cute! =) you should try my falafel recipes (hint hint) haha! <3 Happy WIAW!!! I'll make you falafel if you make me a carrot cake smoothie! <3

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  6. cherry vanilla sounds like the most incredible flavor combination ill have to try those bars... and yess im loving asparagus season too weve been getting tons in our csa bag its soo good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenn- yes! I'm going to be checking out your falafel recipe soon!

    Kate- Let me know if you make them. I used grape-juice sweetened dried cranberries and probably too much stevia, they ended up tasting a little "off." I'd love to hear how they turned out for you because the idea is such a good one! I think I need to experiment more with these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. mindrunning- I'm so glad to hear that you can eat sesame seeds without any problems, tahini is the greatest thing ever!

    ReplyDelete