Sunday, July 24, 2011

Banana Bread Pancakes



Growing up, I was involved in lots of after-school activities, dance, sports, etc. Many a meal was eaten in the car on the way to whatever class or practice or game I was going to next. Sure, there was plenty of down-time for foraging new trails in the woods behind our house, racing my sister and the neighbor kids down our dirt road to see who could hit the most puddles, and late night games of kick-the-can. If there was fun and adventure to be had, I was there to have it.

But never at the sacrifice of a good breakfast.

All throughout my school years, my mom woke up extra early to cook us breakfast. Pancakes were always my first request. I think this started when I began revolting against cereal. You see, my family is a waste-not, finish your plate kind of family (translation: many long nights at the dinner table). When my dad established the "finish the milk in your cereal bowl" rule (to which he now denies any responsibility), my strong anti-cereal stance began. (Cereal-flavored milk.. GROSS!) And it continues still to this day. I dont like cereal. Period. (Homemade granola is a different story).

Luckily, my mom makes a serious pancake... full of love, and often full of blueberries or chocolate chips... or both! And occasionally shaped into hearts or Micky Mouse faces. Every morning, during the mad rush to make it to the bus stop (which was a good half mile away, and often resulted in another half-mile walk back home after missing the bus.... hmm, maybe these early morning exercises are where my power hour originated), my mom would have a warm breakfast ready for me. Sometimes breakfast was the only "quality" time of the day, and I never took it for granted.

As an adult, I didn't really see the nutritional value of a pancake and often opted for eggs with veggies instead. Even slathered with peanut butter and maple syrup (my favorite combo for pancake toppings), the glutenous sogginess of pancakes just didn't appeal to me anymore. 

Until today. 

Today I made banana bread pancakes that were so good that I didn't hesitate to eat the leftovers- cold and without any toppings. Imagine banana bread in pancake form. Imagine banana bread in pancake form and packed full of mono-saturated (health-promoting) fats, magnesium, antioxidants, vitamin E, and potassium (1). These pancakes are some of the best pancakes I've ever had (sorry mom), even compared to gluten-pancakes!

Step aside Bisquick, there's a new flour in town. 
Topped with a blueberry almond-butter spread

Banana Bread Pancakes
Grain-Free * Gluten-Free * Dairy-Free

Inspired by Roost

  • 2 cups almond flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 TBSP cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 3 overripe bananas (mine were frozen, and thawed slightly)
  • 2 eggs
  • ghee for greasing the pan (or coconut oil, butter, or other oil)
Combine all ingredients in blender; putting the eggs and bananas in first makes for easier blending. Heat oil or butter in a pan. Pour batter into 4-inch rounds, using the back of a spoon to help spread out the batter. I found using a 1/4 measuring cup for scooping out the batter was helpful. Cook and flip until each side is a golden brown (about 2-3 minutes on medium heat). Drizzle with fruit, nut-butter, maple syrup, or your favorite topping! 


Michigan maple syrup is the best!


Pancakes are back!

*I used a Vita-Mix blender, if you are having problems combining the ingredients in your blender, a food processor might work. If you try it that way, let me know how it goes!

 

What was your favorite breakfast as a kid? Have you found a way to make it healthier?

9 comments:

  1. yum I love pancakes I had some for bfast this morning too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness girl, these look amazing! I sort of have a love affair with pancakes. And I also just discovered how I much I LOVE almond flour. So, I am definitely going to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alaina, think your love affair got me thinking of pancakes again in the first place; and I'm a huge fan of almond flour already, so it was just a matter of time! So good! The leftovers are even good, already looking forward to breakfast tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. holy yumminess. Only thing missing for me are the nuts. Mmmmm :) hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOhhh YUM!!! I have some almond flour in my pantry actually! This looks awesome, and it would have more protein than regular pancakes. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally trying it out this weekend in the food pro. Glad to hear the tested positive results!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look delicious!!!! I love banana bread when it's so moist you have to use a fork to eat it with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look amazing!!! Banana bread is one of my favorite baked goods. :) I actually like cereal flavored milk. Which is also why I love cereal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid, Dercum,fibromyalgia,Get Your Ex Back, You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219....

    ReplyDelete